Expression of Interest for CITB Audit & Risk Committee Member Position
CITB is inviting experts with qualifications in audit, assurance or accounting/finance to join its Audit & Risk Committee as an Independent Member.
“External independent experts are a vital part of the Audit & Risk Committee bringing some outside perspectives and challenge to our discussions, and we welcome those with current responsibilities in the areas of internal audit, finance or risk who might be looking for a first board level experience.”
Diana Garnham, CITB’s Chair of the Audit & Risk Committee
One Independent Member position is available, and the successful applicant will help the Committee ensure that CITB’s Board and Accounting Officer gain the assurance they need on the adequacy and effectiveness of CITB’s arrangements for risk management, governance and internal controls, and other strategically significant developments.
The Audit and Risk Committee will advise the Board and Accounting Officer on:
- the strategic processes for risk, control and governance and the Governance Statement;
- the accounting policies, the accounts and the annual report of the organisation including the process for review of the accounts prior to submission for audit, levels of error identified, and management’s letter of representation to the external auditors;
- planned activity and results of both internal and external audit;
- adequacy of management response to issues identified by audit activity, including external audit’s management letters;
- assurances, including from outsourced or shared service providers, relating to the management of risk and corporate governance requirements for the organisation;
- counter-fraud and bribery policies, whistle-blowing processes, and arrangements for special investigations;
- and consider other topics as defined by the Board.
Therefore, the Committee must have a wide range of skills and experience in relation to finance, governance, risk and control to ensure that issues are fully explored and resolved.
Skills and Expertise
We are seeking a candidate who has current skills and experience in audit, assurance or accounting/financial management to add value to the Committee. It is not necessary to have previous Board or Committee experience. The role would be a good opportunity for an individual seeking to broaden their CV with wider experience.
Each appointment of a Member is for a period of 1-4 years and is non-remunerated, although travel expenses will be paid. There are a minimum four meetings per year, held either remotely via video conference, or at a given location, and meetings last approximately 2-3 hours.
“CITB’s Audit & Risk Committee plays a vital role in the provision of oversight and drive for continuous improvement. Centred around the control environment, reporting and risk management of the business, this role will contribute toward improving transparency and ultimately the impact CITB creates for the benefit of the Construction Industry.”
Sarah Beale, CITB’s CEO and Accounting Officer
If you are interested in this vacancy, please take time to go through the Terms of Reference and Role Description to ensure you have the required skills. If you would like to apply, please complete the Expression of Interest form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Expressions of Interest submissions will be considered for short listing by a panel comprising of two CITB Board Trustees (including the Committee Chair), CITB’s Legal, Governance & Compliance Director and CITB’s Finance Director. Applicants considered by the Panel who satisfy the requisite skills and experience will be selected for interview with the Committee Chair and one other member of the Panel, who will then make a recommendation to the Board for the appointment of the preferred candidate.
The successful applicant will receive a formal appointment letter from CITB’s Corporate Governance Team, along with a schedule of the upcoming meetings and an Induction Pack.